ABOUT THE COMPASS GRANT
The Compass Grant offers eligible Delaware businesses assistance to help launch or expand export activity. Grant funds can be used to reimburse Delaware businesses for up to 50 percent of all preapproved, eligible, export marketing expenses, up to a maximum of $10,000 per fiscal year, per company. All activities are funded by the Delaware Department of State.
All submitted expenses must be pre-approved in your funding application by the Delaware Department of State. Delaware reimburses up to 50% of the following pre-approved eligible expenses for one traveler per company:
- Coach airfare
- Ground transportation fees
- Baggage fees
- Parking fees
- Lodging (may be up to 150% of federal foreign per diem rate with Department of State pre-approval)
- Registration fees and booth space for trade shows
- Trade mission fees
- Training Programs (related to export policies, regulations and/or best practices)
- Currency exchange fees
- Other associated and allowable travel expenses
- Fees for shipping sample products
- Cost of compliance testing an existing product for entry into an export market
- Fees for U.S. Department of Commerce Services such as Gold Key Business Matchmaking Service, Single Company Promotions, International Partner Searches
- Website translation into a foreign language, search engine optimization, and localization services
- Design of marketing media
WHAT COMPANIES ARE ELIGIBLE?
Compass Grant Awards from the State of Delaware are awarded on a competitive basis. At the Delaware Department of State (Export Delaware), diversity, equity, and inclusion are woven into everything we do. We aim to help Delaware small businesses of all types and backgrounds succeed and thrive, and we believe that promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion is essential to achieving that goal. We are committed to providing equal opportunities for all constituents.
- Business must have operations in Delaware. Those companies incorporated in Delaware without operations here are not eligible for Delaware grant funding.
- Applicant must be a U.S. citizen.
- Product must be made in the USA – there is a 51% U.S. content requirement.
- Companies must meet SBA size standards for eligibility, which vary by NAICS code and type of business. Please verify before completing the application.
- Companies must be in business for no less than one year, ending on the date assistance is provided under the grant.
- Company must have demonstrated an understanding of the costs associated with exporting and doing business with foreign producers, including costs of freight forwarding, customs brokers, packing and shipping.
- Company must have a strategic export plan in effect.
- Accounting, Legal, and Technical Service Firms may be eligible, provided they have international clientele and can prove the intent to expand their business of exporting professional services.
- Please complete, sign, and submit the grant application.
- All applicants meeting the initial criteria will be interviewed by the Department of State.
- Your application will be reviewed, and if approved, you will receive notification via email of your approved status, effective date, and award amount.
Please do NOT incur any expenses for which you will be seeking reimbursement prior to Department of State approval. Grants cannot be used to reimburse costs retroactively.
The following documents must be submitted to the Department of State for reimbursement:
- Scans of all receipts demonstrating proof of payment. A credit card receipt, copy of a bank statement, or invoice indicating a zero balance or payment made is acceptable.
- Itemized Worksheet (template provided by Department of State)
- Invoice to Delaware Department of State for reimbursement requested
EVALUATION AND SALES REPORTS
Companies will be contacted by the Delaware Department of State team to learn of the successes achieved with the help of this grant. All companies receiving grants agree to complete a program evaluation form that indicates actual export sales received, projected/estimated future sales as a result of this grant, and Delaware jobs created or retained as a result of the respective trade activities for which funding was granted. The program requires feedback on all activities. This is a condition of the funding for Delaware's grant program. This data will be collected three times during the award period – immediately following activity and in October/March of the program year. A 24-month survey will be conducted the following fiscal year in October/March. Recipients of grants acknowledge that their cooperation in this regard is a contingency of such funding. The State of Delaware appreciates your cooperation, and it is essential to our ongoing success in providing grants to Delaware businesses.